Friday, November 19, 2010

Wealthy, Gay & Lonely


Recently, I met an IT professional gay man from New York who was pressured by his parents to come back to Bicol so he can oversee their family business. The man dreads going home as he knows he will be forced by his folks to marry a woman as soon as he comes back.

His story is the same with many other Filipino gay men I have met. The wealthy parents force their 30-ish queer, bachelor son to marry a woman. Or they are threatened to lose their inheritance.

I am just glad that my parents didn't have enough wealth to threaten me with such a proposition.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

well... life is short indeed, do what you think will make you happy yun lang yun! we always have a choice tandaan nyo lagi yan.

Anonymous said...

If I were him I will bite the bullet and reveal myself to my parents just like what I did. It was the longest 5 minutes of my life but so worth it. Now I don't have to pretend.

Anonymous said...

The same story with me. I used to live abroad, but being from a traditional chinese family, I came home 3 years ago. Now I am lonely and I am depressed.
I am thinking of going back abroad, but it is very difficult.
Philippines is still backwards when it comes to 30's men still single. Avoid the stigma and be a foreigner forever in another country and live with the independence with less prejudice.

Anonymous said...

hay nako.. ano ba yan...ganito na lang ba parati tayo hindi natin mapili kung sino tayo o ano tayo...tayo lang ang nakakaalam ng tinatago natin..at luluha ng patago...gawin mo na lang kung ano ang nasasaloob mu..sana knowing mu tagalog ng maintindihan mo ang sinasabi ko...