Monday, February 9, 2009

Lexuality Lectures at La Salle


This writer has been invited by De La Salle University's Mr. Ronald Gue of the Literature department to speak to their students regarding my written works for the gay community. It will be my first time to speak in front of students outside of my school UP Diliman, and I am honestly quite nervous.


It is an honor for me to be invited, hence, I have agreed to do my talk on February 19 in front of students from about four different Literature classes. What I have chosen to discuss is How Narratives Empower A Minority Group.


Having done this blog for almost a year and having written a few gay stories for film, I have received bulks of emails on how these "narratives" have made a difference in the lives of many gay men out there.


And it just illustrates that suffering among individuals coming from a minority group (in this case, the gay men) is relieved whenever their stories are re-told onscreen. The film narrative serves as an affirmation, that these gay men are not alone in their struggles with their personality and sexuality and that their most kept and "shameful" secrets are in fact shared by many other gay men.


Having witnessed this phenomenon first hand, I am just thankful that I am able to touch the lives of other gay men through the stories I wanted to share.


To you Mr. Gue, thank you for this invitation. I hope I could give justice as I represent the issues of "gay men" in front of presumably a majority of "straight" students at DLSU.

No comments: