Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Lessons From a Gay Icon




I was once inside the mansion of this popular gay businessman.

In one of the displayed photos, I noticed how good looking his partner during their younger days. They have been together for more than 20 years, quite a feat for the fleeting gay relationships nowadays.

The businessman shared with me that his partner was then a dancer. He was smitten by his charm so he did everything (and spent everything) to pursue this man.

He told me on nugget of wisdom that he seems cherish in his life: "Sa umpisa, pera pera ang usapan. Sa katagalan, matututunan ka rin niyang mahalin" (at first, it's all about money, but after a while, he will soon learn to love you)

Mr. businessman comes from a different era. Gay Men were yet to be recognized at that time where he found his lover. And for this reason, I understand where he is coming from.

But I certainly do not adhere to this piece of advice.

At the back of my mind, I was wondering, with that considerably impressive wealth that he has built, who wouldn't love him at all?

3 comments:

Herbs D. said...

hmm reminds me of Boy Abunda. i think he's boyfie was a dancer. i dunno. rings a bell

LoF said...

the duplicitous nature of the story makes it tragic. its like a much more subtle form of the stockholm syndrome or, a variation of girl intentionally gets pregnant to keep guy from leaving.

Unknown said...

That advice reflects those not so good old days he had.